Preparing for The Big Mission Home
Mapped your route? … Check!
Packed water, snacks, sunscreen and wet weather gear in your day pack? …Check!
Given your fundraising one last push? …Check!
With the big day nearly upon us, there are a few important things to know. Please take the time read through the following information carefully. We can't wait to welcome you across the finish line soon!
On the Day
Please join us virtually for a karakia at 7:30am HERE.
Timings & celebrations at HomeGround
The finish line is at the entrance to HomeGround at 195 Federal Street.
What time you set off is up to you. The celebration at HomeGround will be kicking off from midday to 4pm. Allow 3.5 - 4.5 hours to walk 17 km at an average pace.
There is no parking available at HomeGround and limited free parking in the surrounding streets. Paid parking is available in the nearby Wilson and SkyCity carparks. Check the Auckland Transport website for public transport options.
Enjoy your day!
Health and Safety
Your safety when participating in The Big Mission Home is of paramount importance. Please use your common sense and look after yourself and your fellow participants. Below are a few important tips.
- If you are walking in a group, please keep it small so you can stay on the footpaths and be considerate to other pedestrians.
- Let your emergency contact know what time you're setting off, the route you plan to take, and the approximate time you expect to cross the finish line.
- If you do not plan to or become unable to finish the event, please text or phone Mission team member Carol on 027 700 9123. If Carol doesn’t hear from you, and you haven't crossed the finish line by 5pm we will phone you and/or your emergency contact to check that you are safe and well.
- If you haven't started fundraising by 24th March, we will assume that you are not intending to participate on 25th March. If this is not the case and you do intend to take part, please let Carol know on [email protected] or by text on 027 700 9123.
- If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, please complete a test before doing the walk and follow government isolation guidelines. If you are unable to undertake The Big MIssion Home next Saturday due to COVID-19 or any other illness, you are welcome to complete a 17km walk at a time when you are well.
- Keep well hydrated while you're walking and plan to take snack breaks as you need.
- Check the forecast and prepare accordingly - sunblock and sunhat if it's hot, and wet weather gear if it's going to rain (in fact, pack for all conditions - it is Auckland after all!).
- Remember you are representing the Auckland City Mission when participating in The Big Mission Home.
- If friends and whānau are joining you at HomeGround, please ensure you and your adult guests keep any accompanying children in your sight.
- This is not a race. Take your time and enjoy the new perspective of the city while you walk in solidarity with those doing it tough.
- In the event of a significant weather event, we will communicate any changes to The Big Mission Home - including cancellation - by text and email.
- For full terms and conditions, please see here.
In the case of an accident or emergency, please dial 111.
Show us your snaps! #thebigmissionhome
Don't forget to take photos of your journey, post all about it on social media and tag #thebigmissionhome.
We've planned several routes from across the city already so you don't have to - but feel free to choose your own path too.
Disclaimer: While the Auckland City Mission has taken reasonable steps to ensure the suggested routes are suitable and safe for walkers, it is your responsibility to keep safe on whatever route you choose to take and check for hazards and route disruptions prior to participating.
Mairangi Bay to HomeGround
Start at Mairangi Bay and follow the coast down to Devonport, then a quick ferry crossing before walking up to HomeGround.
Māngere Bridge to HomeGround
From Māngere Bridge, walk past Cornwall Park, Mangawhau and the Mission's food bank and Distribution Centre in Grafton.
Glen Innes to HomeGround
Begin at the Mission's Glen Innes op shop and follow Tāmaki Drive from St Heliers into the city.
Henderson to HomeGround
Starting at the Falls in Henderson, this route follows the Twin Streams path then the Northwestern shared path into the CBD.
Check out our frequently asked questions for more information or contact Carol Herbert, Community Fundraising Specialist, and The Big Mission Home team [email protected] / 027 700 9123.